Frugal Digital is an ongoing research project at CIID that focuses on researching methods and practices around creating digital solutions in low resource settings such as developing economies. We work on projects to set the framework, create tools and provide inspiration for frugal innovators around the globe.
Frugality is a way of thinking that optimises given resources and up-cycles – and has the spirit of improvisation. We rarely see such an ethos in the digital realm where creating the next generation of products and services are about consuming and costing more.
How do we apply frugality to digital life and create solutions that are inexpensive, adaptable, re-purpose or use available resources and create valuable knowledge along with new solutions?
The main functions of the research project:
- Research new methods and processes
- Create inspirational projects
- Work with grassroot innovators and academia
-Document examples and create case studies.
Key questions of the project are:
- How do we create tools for an emerging digital cottage industry?
- How do we create methods to spark creativity within constraints ?
- How do we create appropriate tech with high impact ?
- How do we create an unsubsidised, demand-driven approach towards social innovation?
Visit the Frugal Digital website: http://ciid.dk/frugaldigital/
Context: Designing within the constraints for developing economies.
Key Words: Frugal Innovation, Developing Economies, Social Innovation, Digital Solutions, Design Constraints